Geoptis, La Poste group
La Poste founded Geoptis to generate new ideas for local services. The company provides road assessment and decision-making support services to local authorities responsible for managing and maintaining road networks.
The project at a glance
The idea behind Geoptis' service is simple: postal workers' vehicles are fitted with cameras that assess road conditions, and identify and geolocate “incidents” (such as potholes, cracks, etc.). Some 80% of the shots are taken on standard postal rounds. The remaining 20% require the postal worker to take special routes in his or her vehicle.
Geoptis commissioned Hardis Group to conduct a feasibility study and to develop an algorithm to optimize these special journeys.
- Optimize special journeys to reduce distance traveled
- Assess whether an artificial intelligence solution would be suited to this particular use case
- Develop the AI-based solution
- Use case feasibility study (completed in three weeks)
- Development of the AI solution (completed in two months)
- Coupling of the calculated journey with a GPS system so that the postal worker merely has to following the directions
- 20-30% reduction in distances traveled by postal workers on special journeys
- Driver safety improvements (fully guided route)